The number 1 excuse I hear from people who are interested in the Keto lifestyle, but never try it has to do with their fear of saturated fat and cholesterol.
But what if... all of the "conventional wisdom" around saturated fat and cholesterol is wrong?
There are so many myths and misconceptions floating around out there that it's hard to know where to begin, but let me emphatically say:
- The link to saturated fat and heart disease simply DOES NOT EXIST!
- People with higher cholesterol tend to live longer than those with low cholesterol.
- Sugar, grains and processed vegetable oils are the real reasons behind the growing obesity epidemic and many chronic diseases.
Just about everything we've been taught about diet, nutrition & weight loss for the past 50 years is WRONG!
I've assembled a few resources to help put your mind at ease and to help you get over your fear of fat.
Video Clips and Trailers
This 2.5 minute clip from the documentary "Fat Head" explains how saturated fat was falsely blamed for causing heart disease back in the 1950's:
This comical sketch from Adam Ruins Everything is spot on:
Eat the Butter explains how sugar and grains, not saturated fat are leading to heart disease and diabetes:
The Big Fat Fix investigates and uncovers the forgotten secrets of health and longevity from the tiny Italian village of Pioppi, where the people forget to die:
Statin Nation reveals the medical corruption that has led to the mass over-prescription of cholesterol medications (statins). The film explains how the facts about cholesterol and heart disease have, for decades, been distorted by pharmaceutical companies keen to increase their profits.
The Cholesterol Conundrum - and Root Cause Solution
A detailed analysis of Cholesterol Science using an Engineering Problem Solving approach. Included is a clear explanation of the Cholesterol Metabolic Processes, related Diseases, and most importantly a clear summary of the key risk factors and how they can be influenced by your genetic type and your dietary strategy (1 hour and 47 minutes):
The Great Cholesterol Myth - Bowden and noted cardiologist Stephen Sinatra, MD—armed with hundreds of scientific references—show why the medical establishment’s belief that fat and cholesterol cause of heart disease is completely wrong.
Here's a 73 minute presentation by the author of The Great Cholesterol Myth for those who are really interested:
The Big Fat Surprise - Teicholz’s book shows that not only are foods rich in saturated fat not harmful to our hearts, but they actually are good for us.… Read Teicholz’s excellent book and tell me you aren’t convinced she’s right. - Chicago Sun-Times
This is her TEDx Talk that summarizes what her book is all about:
Death by Food Pyramid - Warning: Shock and outrage will grip you as you dive into this one-of-a-kind exposé. Shoddy science, sketchy politics, and shady special interests have shaped American Dietary recommendations--and destroyed our nation's health--over recent decades. The phrase "death by food pyramid" isn't shock-value sensationalism, but the tragic consequence of following federal advice and corporate manipulation in pursuit of health.
The Obesity Code - "Everything you believe about how to lose weight is wrong. Weight gain and obesity are driven by hormones—in everyone—and only by understanding the effects of insulin and insulin resistance can we achieve lasting weight loss."
Fat For Fuel - “Dr. Joseph Mercola has been a shining beacon of health wisdom and freedom for decades. His latest book, Fat for Fuel, is a masterpiece of cutting-edge research and practical application. This information, if applied, holds the key to sustainable weight loss and enhanced energy. More than that, this lifestyle plan can help reverse chronic illness such as heart disease, diabetes, and even cancer.” — Christiane Northrup, M.D.
Low Carb, High Fat - In Low Carb, High Fat Food Revolution, Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt takes the offensive by exploring the severe systematic failures on which many of today’s dietary guidelines are based. For Eenfeldt’s patients, the solution has been a low-carb, high-fat diet that allows you to eat your fill—and still lose weight.
Links & Articles
- The Definitive Guide to Cholesterol
- The Case for Eating Butter Just Got Stronger - Time
- The Myth of Lowering Cholesterol
- The Greatest Scam in Medical History
- Study links statins to 300+ adverse health effects
- Cholesterol-Lowering Industry Still Worth More Than $19 Billion and Increasing
- Cholester-All You Need To Know
- Saturated Fat "Fact" is a Fraud
- The Science of Low Carb - "Despite half a century of research there is still no evidence that natural saturated fat (like butter, eggs etc.) is anything but completely safe to eat."
- Cholesterol: How a now discredited diet theory became a national mania
- Cholesterol Is Finally Officially Removed From 'Naughty' List
- Top 11 Biggest Lies of Mainstream Nutrition
- The Governments Bad Advice
- Ending the War on Fat
- A Call for a Low-Carb Diet That Embraces Fat
- Change Your Doctor or “CHANGE” Your Doctor
- New study finds wheat and carbs biggest risk for heart disease, red meat and saturated fat has no direct effect
- The corruption of academic medicine - You may not want to blindly trust your doctor.
I know it can be overwhelming and all of the information shared on the page likely contradicts what you were taught growing up about weight loss, nutrition and health... but that doesn't make it any less true.
Saturated fat is perfectly safe and when you eat a well formulated ketogenic diet, you do not have to worry about cholesterol at all. Click the link below if you still have questions and would like to set up a complimentary coaching call.
The KetoCode Commandments
11 practical guidelines that will help you achieve SAFE, SUSTAINABLE, FAT LOSS